Quill Pen

Quill Pen
Quill Pen: A Professional Writing Service

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Exhibition #9- A Reflective Blog Series


Reflective Writing Notebook
Who Am I?
What we do flows from who we are.”
 ~Paul Vitale

When I am formally introducing myself to new people I always attach what I do for a living. “Hi, my name is Kacey and I am <insert role> at <insert company name>.  It’s nice to meet you.” When asked if I could share a little bit about myself with a new group of coworkers as we go around the room, I start spouting out what I do, how long I’ve been doing it, what I like about it and what I don’t.  As I sat down and reflected on who I am- as a woman, as a writer, as a work in progress- and how I present that person to others, I happened upon a very common theme.  It surprised me.
When I am describing myself, I always equate who I am with what I do. And, on another note, when I introduce other people, I typically equate who they are with what they do as well. “This is <insert name>.  She works at <insert company> as a <insert role>.” Personality and individuality are totally lost during this exchange. I feel almost like I am robbing myself (and others) of acknowledging the uniqueness that makes me who I am (and them who they are) and that’s a shame. 
The roles we play in the professional world are what we do- not who we are.  A name, a smile, and a handshake speak at greater volumes than our current position in the workplace.  Once I rerouted my thinking and wiped the slate clean, I went back to the drawing board to focus on the very simple, yet all too complex question of “Who am I”?  With a fresh start, a new perspective, and an open mind, I was able to free-write my answer to that question.  Here is what I came up with:
I am Kacey.  I am competitive, compassionate, dedicated, and strive to be ethical in every situation.  I have a glass-half full outlook on life, I am a true believer in reaching for the stars, and I think we owe it to ourselves to stay healthy in mind, body, and spirit.  In the work place, I am focused, I take initiative, and I am a team player. At home, I am laid back, hospitable, and an animal lover. I have a background in medical office administration, financial firm administration with a specialization in Trusts, and experience interviewing and writing features for a real estate and lifestyles magazine which highlights the success of local business men and women in South Florida. I am also a graduate student working diligently toward my Master’s degree in Professional Writing. In the future, I aspire to have a beautiful family one day and a successful career in which I am able to utilize my writing skills and abilities to perform my job to the highest standard and exceed even my own expectations. 
Whew.  Let me just clarify that this is not how I am going to introduce myself to new people that I am meeting for the first time now that I’ve come to this realization (it might be just a tad long winded for most).  Just the wording itself in the free-write shows a new respect for the question of “Who am I”?  I’ve highlighted some phrasing in red that demonstrates how crucial (and telling) the words we use are in how we think about ourselves and how we present ourselves. The free-write just serves as a template- a “structured reminder”.
Reflective Writing Notebook
“A man’s memory is his private literature.”
-Aldous Huxley

I remember feeling stagnant. Bored. Unfulfilled. Wasteful. I wasn’t happy because I wasn’t making the best out of the life that I was given. I remember feeling Scared. Anxious. Nervous. Self-doubting. I was uneasy because I knew I needed to make a life change but the there is nothing more terrifying than the unknown.

I remember the sound of the car door slamming. The engine revved up and I remember bowing my head and talking to God.  I was smiling with tears in my eyes. I wiped them with my shirt sleeve as quickly as they formed in my eyes. Everything was about to change and I didn’t know if I would be strong enough to endure that. Regardless, I stepped on the gas and waved goodbye to everything I ever knew.  Everything that made me, well, me.

I remember walking out of the air conditioned house and feeling the hot breeze smack me in the face. I started sweating immediately. I took a deep breath. I heard children laughing, cars zipping by, dogs barking, and water splashing. The air smelled different. People looked different and talked different. I felt different. I felt naked and exposed but I hid it well. It was official. I wasn’t in Pittsburgh anymore…

I remember loving myself. I remember hating myself. I picked myself up only to knock myself back down again. I knew who I was but I hadn’t a clue. I remember being tested, being tempted, being tried. I remember feeling strong and I remember feeling weak. I questioned myself. I questioned others. I wrote. I read. I lived, laughed, and loved. I cried. I got a tan. I shifted gears.

I remember starting to feel at home. I remember feeling self-assured, confident, and happy. I was free.  I was a soldier. I felt powerful and independent. I was in control. I disappointed myself. I gave myself a break. I was quiet and I listened. I restored, renewed, and revamped myself.  I let things go. I accepted that I am a work in progress.  I dismissed the bad and I embraced the good.  I made a commitment. I stood perfectly still and walked into my own. 

Reflective Writing Notebook
Reaction to “A Call For a Shift In Spiritual Energy” by Tina Games-Evans

“If Heaven made him - earth can find some use for him.”
 -Chinese Proverb

To be able to fully step into your life’s purpose you need to first figure out the 5 Ws:
Who are you?
What moves you?
Where are you now in relation to where you want to be?
When do you want to make the commitment?
Why is fulfilling your purpose so important to you?

Once you figure out the answers to these questions you can focus on the HOW.  A life purpose isn’t about self-fulfillment, as it’s not about feeding your OWN soul.  When I ask myself what really matters I always come back to the same conclusion: people.  Audrey Hepburn once said:

“People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed.”

Some people choose to dedicate their lives to Mission trips, the Peace Corp, or Disaster Relief; saving the world one person at a time.  Others choose to heal the world through a smile, a touch, or a shoulder to cry on; leaving footprints on the hearts of every one they encounter.  Either way, no matter the scale, when we approach a situation with a genuine concern for the well being of others the impact we make can be instrumental.

My life gets meaning from being able to offer support, encouragement, and wisdom to the people around me.  Life means taking advantage of every opportunity you are given.  My life is more meaningful when I am centered; giving back as much as I am taking in.  I feel like I understand the true meaning of life when I stop and take in my surroundings; the sights, the sounds, the smells, the sensory emotions that are evoked by all of them coming together at once.  To me, life’s meaning is based on human interaction and introspection.

No comments:

Post a Comment